Friday, August 28, 2009

What's For Dinner?


We've been trying to incorporate seafood into our meal planning. So far we have discovered that J likes shrimp but W does not. While we were in San Francisco a few weeks back (because we missed our connecting flight to China, we ended up staying the afternoon/evening in San Francisco, yet another story...but in the end had a great time...it was a happy accident) we discovered the Boys like calamari. As all parents do, we asked them to give it a try. They were hesitant at first but B had a stroke of genius. He told the Boys that it was fried Squidward (as in Sponge Bob Square Pants). They thought it would be so cool to eat Squidward and decided to give it a try. They loved it! I'm excited because I love calamari and now we can order this delicious appetizer when we go out for dinner. Well, I tried a new recipe this week and it's on the keep menu. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.

Bacon-Wrapped Cod
Ingredients
1 skinless, boneless cod fillet (1 1/4 pounds and 1 1/2 inches thick) Coarse salt and ground pepper 12 strips bacon (about 12 ounces total)


Directions
  1. Cut fish into 4 pieces and season with salt and pepper. On a work surface, arrange 3 slices bacon so they overlap slightly. Place a piece of fish at one short end and tightly wrap with bacon, cutting off any excess bacon. Repeat with remaining fish and bacon.
  2. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high. Place fish, seam side down, in pan and cook until bacon is deep golden brown on all sides, about 9 minutes, turning occasionally.
I served the fish with a side salad with homemade croutons and green beans. I make my croutons from the Rosemary bread I get from my local Costco. I cut the bread into fairly thick slices, cut them in half, and then in thirds. I place the cubes on a cookie sheet, toss them with olive oil and a little bit of salt and pepper. I put them in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes (I've never actually kept track of the time. I just look at them from time to time and toss them around with a wooden spoon). That's it! And they are so good! I put them in the Carrot Soup I make or you can make them a bit longer and thinner and use them for hummus or whatever other yummy dip.

No comments: