Thursday, May 21, 2009

What's For Dinner?


My dear friend I.S. had a few ladies over to her house a few weeks back. She made this amazing Carrot Soup and I had to have the recipe. Not only is it delicious, it's healthy AND easy! I made it last night for tonight's dinner. W and J tried it last night and it was a winner. I'm going to serve it with some grilled cheese sandwiches and a garden salad. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Thanks for the recipe I.S.!

Carrot Soup
Ingredients
10-12 carrots cut up into even pieces
1 baking potato cut up into even pieces
3-4 shallots chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Melt butter and cook shallots for 3 minutes.
  2. Add carrots, potato, and coriander. Saute, stirring a couple of times.
  3. Add chicken stock, sugar, salt, and pepper.
  4. Increase heat to medium and bring to simmer.
  5. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
  6. Remove from heat and let cool.
  7. Ladle into a food processor and process to form a smooth puree. (I used my hand-held blender and pureed in the pot).
  8. Return puree to pot and add 1 cup of milk and more salt if needed.
  9. Serve with sour cream and cilantro (optional).

No comments: