Thursday, July 23, 2009

What To Read?


I'm on to my next book for book club. It's my turn and I picked, Serena: A Novel, by Ron Rash. (I'm actually in two book clubs so it was fun to pick back-to-back books - hee hee).

I heard about Serena while listening to Michele Norris on NPR. It was her Summer pick. After hearing about it I couldn't get it out of my mind. Read this excerpt from the first paragraph and you'll see why.

Chapter One
When Pemberton returned to the North Carolina mountains after three months in Boston settling his father's estate, among those waiting on the train platform was a young woman pregnant with Pemberton's child. She was accompanied by her father, who carried beneath his shabby frock coat a bowie knife sharpened with great attentiveness earlier that morning so it would plunge as deep as possible into Pemberton's heart.

You can read the rest of Chapter One here.

No comments: