Thursday, February 26, 2009

John Singer Sargent


John Singer Sargent in his studio with Portrait of Madame X

Some of you may know that I majored in Art History. I am a horrible artist but I can truly appreciate great art. On that note, I think there are a lot of painters that people always choose as their favorite, Degas, Renoir, Monet, Picassco, Rembrandt, the usual suspects. I'm not saying I don't admire these painters, but I do think there are a lot of other painters out there to discover. One of my favorite is John Singer Sargent. Check out this ex-Patriot's work.

Portrait of Madame X (1884)
Metropolitan Museum of Art

I love her bone white skin against the all time perfect little black dress.


The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit (1882)
Boston Museum of Fine Art

I only wish I could have had my boys painted like the Boit Sisters. He captures each little personality. BTW, I would love to have those gigantic vases.


Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose (1885)
Tate Gallery

Last but not least, I LOVE this painting. It has a bit of an Asian feel to it and reminds me of summer nights in New York catching fireflies. I can imagine being in this beautiful fragrant garden at dusk, surrounding by crickets, fireflies, and a slight breeze. Just perfect...

1 comment:

Brian Bond said...

Living in NYC my favorite place was the Met. I was a donor and spent many days there. Always stopped and looked at Portrait of Madame X. amazingly beautiful. for being so large it is amazingly detailed